Simple ingredients: when combined, these fritters are bursting with flavour and they can be served au naturel or with the sour cream topping. For the non-veggie people, a few shards of smoked salmon will work well. Make sure you do not use a fine grater as this will make the potatoes too mushy. Neither use a very coarse grater as it will be too chunky. Use the medium-sized grater for the best results.
Serves 4 – 6
- 600g grated sweet potatoes
- 185g grated peeled sweet potatoes
- 45ml finely snipped chives
- 15ml finely chopped oregano
- 30ml finely chopped flat-leafed parsley
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 30g cake flour (60ml)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 45ml olive oil
- 250g sour cream
- Dill sprigs to garnish
- Combine in a bowl the potato and sweet potato with the chives, oregano, parsley, eggs and sifted flour. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are just combined.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan; spoon heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the pan. Flatten a little with a spatula whilst cooking.
- Cook over a medium – high heat for 4 minutes each side, or until golden.
- Serve warm, topped with sour cream and dill sprigs.
Before using, keep grated sweet potato in acidulated water with 15ml vinegar added, to prevent discolouration. Drain well and dry on a clean tea towel before using.
Can be made ahead and reheated in a low oven for 20 minutes or on 100% power in the microwave for 3 – 4 minutes.