Do you want to achieve your goals?
Do you want to know how to achieve your goals?
But wait a minute, do you have goals?
Most people don’t have goals, they only have wishes, and wishes are not goals. Wishes are just
vague words with no power beyond them, lacking the incentive and motivation to make them come true.
There are so many articles and books nowadays, trying to teach you how to achieve your goals, but what’s the use of them, if you don’t have goals?
Are goals necessary? For some people they matter, and for others they don’t matter. Some people need them, others don’t care about them. Some are too lazy to define goals and follow them, and others are quite happy without goals.
The truth is that everyone has goals, but most of them are minor goals, such as arriving on time to work, see a certain movie, or cook a certain dish.
Next, there are bigger goals, such as finding a new job, earning more money, or buying a car.
Still bigger goals are buying a house, having a successful business, becoming the CEO of a big company, a prime minister or a president.
The bigger the goal, the smaller is the number of people trying to achieve it.
Goals are not related only to money, possessions or status. Being successful with love, learning new skills, or making progress in self-improvement or meditation are also goals.
To achieve a goal, you must step beyond wishing and beyond daydreaming. There must be a definite and clear goal, a plan, and a burning desire.
How to Achieve Your Goals – 9 Steps and Tips
Below, you will find 10 steps, showing how to achieve goals. These are suggestions. Some steps and tips might suitable for you, and some might not.
1. Define what you want as clearly as possible
- You cannot achieve anything if you don’t know what you want. Devote to this step as much time as you need. If you don’t define your goal, everything would be just vague and you will not know how to proceed and would not be able to formulate a plan.
2. Find out what information and what skills you need
- Every goal requires you to be familiar with some sort of information and to possess certain skills.
- You need to know what they are, and if you don’t possess them, starting working on getting the information and developing the skills.
3. A clear mental image
- Build a clear image in your mind of what you want to get or achieve, and focus your attention on it
- a few times a day. This will unfold new ideas and opportunities, and make it clearer to you what you need to do next.
4. Find some pictures that show the things you want to do
- Looking at pictures, showing what you want to do or get, keep you motivated and focused on the goal.
- Do you want a house? Get some photos of houses. Do you want a car? Get a photo of the car you want.
- Do you want swim faster, run faster, find love or have more money? Get photos pf people who achieved success in these areas.
- Look often at these photos, a few times a day.
- Imagine that they are part of your life, and visualize yourself doing or getting similar things, as in the photos.
5. Believe you can get what you want
- Set goals that you believe you can achieve. The goals can be big or small, but it is important that you believe you can make them come true. If you have doubts, or think they are too big or unrealistic, you will set obstacles on your way.
6. Make plans
- Don’t just wait for things to happen. Set realistic and practical plans that you can follow.
7. You need perseverance
- You can know everything about how to achieve your goals, but without perseverance you will not achieve them.
- All kinds of obstacles and difficulties might stand in your way to success, but if you possess persistence you will not be intimidated or discouraged by them. Getting to the starting line and beginning to run is the first step, but also need to arrive to the finish line, and for this you need persistence and self-discipline.
8. Keep doing and working
- Every day, do at least one thing to get you closer to where you want to go. The key to success is doing things and not standing still. Each action and each step will get you closer to where you want to go.
9. Review what you are doing
Once in a while, this could be once a week or once in two week, review what you are doing. Ask yourself:
- Am I sticking to my plans?
- Is there something I need to change?
- Do I need more motivation, desire or encouragement?
- How can I improve what I am doing?
- These questions should be from the sincere desire to improve what you are doing and progress toward your goal, not because of doubts or disbelief.