Makes 10 – 12 regular sized waffles.
500 ml cake flour (280 g)
15 ml granulated sugar
15 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
20 ml baking powder
3 ml salt
2 large eggs
430 ml buttermilk
85 ml unsalted butter, melted and cooled
10 ml vanilla essence or 1 vanilla pod, scraped
3 ml white vinegar
1 bottle red food colouring, liquid or gel
200 g cream cheese, softened
180 g butter, softened
500 ml icing sugar (260 g)
5 ml vanilla essence
125 ml – 250 ml full-cream milk
To Serve: Fresh strawberries
1. Sift cake flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a large bowl of an electric mixer.
2. Grease waffle iron and begin preheating.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla essence and vinegar.
4. Add liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together until combined.
5. Add in sufficient red food colouring to colour the batter. Normally 30 – 45 ml is sufficient.
6. Cook waffles according to the size of the waffle pan. Normally waffles are done when they stop steaming.
7. Make glaze by beating cream cheese and butter together, add in sifted icing sugar, vanilla essence and sufficient milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
8. Drizzle over each waffle and serve with fresh strawberries.