A great recipe to show off another use of the Cuisipro mini ice-cream sandwich-maker.
Makes 12 – 16 small whoopie pies
- 125 g butter, softened
- (125 ml)170 g castor sugar
- (190 ml) (3/4 cup) 2 large eggs, beaten
- 5 ml vanilla essence (1 teaspoon)
- 250 g wheat cake our (450 ml) (1 3/4 cups)
- 20 g cocoa powder (60 ml) (1/4 cup)
- 5 ml bicarbonate of soda (1 teaspoon)
- 1 ml baking powder (1/4 teaspoon)
- 5 ml white vinegar (1 teaspoon)
- 15 ml red food coloring (3 teaspoons)
- 190 ml buttermilk (3/4 cup)
- 1 x tub Marshmallow Fluff (may be bought from specialty sweet stores)
- Preheat oven to 160oC/140o fan/Gas mark 3.
- Grease and line a 34 x 24 x 4 cm baking tray with baking paper; grease again.
- In the bowl of an electric food-mixer place butter and sugar, and mix until light and creamy. This will take 5 – 7 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla essence.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a separate bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients in yet another bowl.
- Stir the wet and dry ingredients into the butter mixture, adding half and half until a thick batter results.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the mixture springs back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Using the Cuisipro Mini Ice-Cream Sandwich-Maker, cut out shapes of the whoopie pies, and sandwich together with the fluff.
- Set up on a plate & sprinkle with icing sugar &/or colored, or chocolate sprinkles.
- Use blue, green, or purple coloring instead of red, to create a different look.
- Sandwich together with colored butter icing.
- Sandwich together with lemon curd.
- Sandwich together with whipped cream or Oley Whip and icing sugar.
Equipment: Scale, measuring cups/spoons, spoon, sieve, mixing bowls, baking tray, baking paper, scissors, paper towels, Spray ́n Cook or melted butter and brush, microwave-safe jug, silicone spatula, oven gloves, cooling rack, serving platter, sharp knife, cake-lifter, paper plates/serviettes.
Sent with Love