If you are a nut lover, then this is the sweet treat for you!
Serves 8 – 10
125 g butter or margarine (125 ml) 100 g granulated sugar (125 ml)
1 large egg, beaten
5 ml vanilla essence
280 g cake flour (500 ml) 5 ml baking powder
200 g butter or margarine (200 ml) 200 g granulated sugar (250 ml) 90 ml milk
200 g flaked almonds
2 ml almond essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160oC fan/Gas mark 4.
- Fit food processor with the double-knife stainless steel blade, cream the butter or margarine and sugar together, add in egg and vanilla and pulse to blend.
- Add in sifted cake flour and baking powder. Process to form stiff dough.
- Press dough into a greased loose-bottomed 28 cm pie plate, or 2 x 18 cm pie plates. Prick pastry with a fork.
- Bake blind at 180°C/160oC fan/Gas mark 4 for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Filling: Melt butter or margarine on 100% power in microwave for 2 – 3 minutes or melt in a saucepan over moderate heat; add in the sugar and milk; stir in the almonds and bring to the boil. Simmer for 3 – 4 minutes. If using the hob, simmer for 6 – 8 minutes. Add in almond essence.
- Pour into prepared pastry case.
- Bake: 180°C/160oC fan/Gas mark 4 for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
Combination/Solar Dom Microwave Ovens: 180°C+50% microwave power for 12 – 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool. Serve cold, cut into slices.
• Grease the pie plate; line with heavy aluminium foil and grease again. Bake as above, but allow the almond tart to get absolutely cold before removing from the pan so that the foil will peel off easily. If it is too warm it will not peel off. This is a great tip for easy clean-up of the pan afterwards.