Everyone loves the taste of tomato soup, and this recipe is no different, with just a twist, as the tomatoes are roasted and then blended together. Serve with chunky bread for a filling meal.
Serves 4 – 6
1 kg cherry tomatoes, as ripe as possible
40 ml olive oil
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
3 ml chilli flakes or 1 small red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
25 ml olive oil
2 red onions, chopped
60 ml balsamic vinegar
1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
A small bunch fresh basil, chopped
500 ml vegetable stock or water
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/200 ºC fan/Gas Mark 7.
2. Place cherry tomatoes in a roasting tray.
3. Pour over olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add in the chilli flakes or chopped fresh chilli; then add garlic and toss everything together.
4. Place roasting tray on the top shelf of the oven for 15 – 20 minutes; turn tomatoes from time to time.
5. Place 25 ml olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan and heat. Add in onions and 2 ml salt.
6. Cook gently until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
7. Add balsamic vinegar and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Cook until slightly reduced.
8. Remove tomatoes from the oven and add everything to the pan of onion and tomato mixture. Add in basil.
9. Halve the mixture and place into a liquidizer. Blend to a fairly course consistency. Repeat with second batch.
10. Return to the pan; add in stock or water. Mix well and reheat gently.
11. Serve with a few basil leaves and if you wish a little sour cream or crème fraiche.