Always a hit with family and friends, try this veggie lasagne for a change. This is a great easy recipe for No-Meat Monday.
Serves 6 – 8
1 x medium butternut, peeled and cut into tiny cubes
6 x courgettes, cut into tiny cubes
2 x red peppers, cut into small squares
1 x yellow pepper, cut into small squares
1 large brinjal, cut into small cubes
4 onions, chopped
50 ml olive oil
100 g butter or margarine (100 ml)
100 g cake flour (180 ml)
1 litre low-fat milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 x box pre-cooked lasagne sheets
100 g grated Cheddar and/or Parmesan cheese
50 ml fresh breadcrumbs
1 x packet black olives, de-pipped and cut into pieces (optional)
1. Roast all the vegetables together, drizzled with olive oil for 40 minutes at 200ºC/180ºC fan/ Gas mark 6.
2. Make a béchamel sauce with butter or margarine, flour, milk and seasoning.
3. In a large rectangular or square greased oven-proof dish, layer a little sauce, lasagne sheets and roasted vegetables.
4. Repeat layers twice, ending with a layer of sauce.
5. Top with cheese, breadcrumbs and olives.
6. Bake for 35 – 45 minutes at 180ºC/160ºC fan/ Gas mark 4 until golden brown and cooked through.