Vegetarian appetizers are always popular and certainly help to keep the budget down. These would also be great as a main course served in a salad of mixed leaves.
Makes: 28 – 30 small balls
- 5 medium potatoes, boiled, skins removed 250 ml mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 ml dried or 20 ml fresh rosemary
- Salt to taste
- 3 ml freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 240 g dried breadcrumbs (500 ml) Cooking oil (for frying)
- Preheat the Air fryer to 200oC
- Boil the potatoes either on a hob or cook in the microwave on 100% power for approximately 8 – 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mash the potatoes. Add the grated mozzarella cheese and garlic. Mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients: rosemary, salt, and black pepper; mix well.
- Roll the potato mixture into bite-sized balls.
- Place the eggs in a shallow dish and lightly whisk.
- Place the breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Roll the potato balls in the breadcrumbs, dip in the egg, then roll again in the breadcrumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet and continue until all of the potatoes have been crumbed.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Put the balls in an oven dish and place the dish in the basket. Slide the basket into the air fryer.
- Set the timer to 8 minutes and grill the potato and cheese balls until they are done and nicely browned.
- Serve warm with chilli tomato jam, sweet chilli sauce, or pesto.
- Heat oil in an electric frying pan. Fry the balls in batches until crispy and brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
Equipment: Mixing bowl, sharp knife, potato masher, grater, chopping board, shallow dishes, whisk, baking sheet, oven gloves, serving lifter, serving plate, toothpicks, serviettes.
Sent with Love