Spinach and chickpea pasta
Another great recipe from one of my favorite websites for inspiration www.bibbyskitchenat36.com:
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 heaping tablespoons Serena sundried tomato pesto
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) Serena balsamic vinegar
- 2 x 390g Serena Italian chopped tomatoes
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) dried oregano
- a generous pinch of dried red chilli flakes (optional)
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 400g tin Serena chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200g baby or young spinach, rinsed
- 400g Serena Farfalle bow tie Pasta
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil, to finish
- freshly grated parmesan, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a wide-based pan and sauté the onion until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, then add the tomato pesto and balsamic vinegar.
Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, chilli (if using), sugar and water. Cover partially and simmer for about 20 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and black pepper. Add the chickpeas and heat through. Pile the spinach on top of the sauce and wilt down, about 3 minutes.
Cook the pasta in plenty of well-salted boiling water. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water before draining. Tip the pasta into the sauce and toss together. Add some of the cooking water to loosen. Add a generous handful of basil and finish with grated parmesan.