The best healthy carrot cake
Thank you bibbyskitchenat36.com for this super recipe!
- 400g, carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) FutureLife Smart Oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose cake flour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal (finely ground almonds)
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups thick, Greek yoghurt, to finish
- fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160º C.
- Grease and line a 22cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the carrots in a large processor and blitz until fine.
- Add the orange zest, sugar, honey, oil, buttermilk and eggs to the carrots and blend until well combined.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients, except the walnuts and add to the carrot mixture.
- Blitz briefly until the flour is incorporated.
- Fold through the walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to the baking tin and bake for 55-60 minutes. Check for doneness before removing from the oven.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- To make the orange syrup, place the zest, juice ad honey in a saucepan. Boil hard until reduced and sticky.
- Place the cooled cake on a cake stand and spread the yoghurt generously over the top.
- Drizzle with orange syrup and scatter with sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Serve immediately.