Tomato, Courgette & Chilli Bake
Sometimes you search for something light to go with a meal or
a braai or to eat on its own, soaking up the juices with crusty
bread; well look no further! Here is a great, colourful veggie dish
with instant appeal.
Serves 6 – 8
25 ml olive oil
25 ml sunflower oil
4 medium onions, peeled and chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 sprigs fresh thyme or rosemary
2 mild-strength chillies, seeds removed and
500 g ripe jam tomatoes, sliced
4 medium courgettes, sliced
20 ml olive oil
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
15 ml brown sugar
20 g white breadcrumbs
30 g Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160®¨C fan/ Gas mark 4.
2. Heat olive oil, sunflower oil and onions over a low heat in a
heavy-based saucepan. Saut. gently for approximately
20 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add in garlic, thyme
or rosemary and chillies; cook a further 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Place this mixture into a greased rectangular baking dish;
spread evenly over the bottom of the dish.
4. Layer 3 – 4 rows of tomatoes, alternating with courgettes, at a
slight angle, on top of onion mixture. Continue until you have
used all the vegetables.
5. Drizzle over 20 ml olive oil, seasoning and sugar.
6. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until soft, then scatter breadcrumbs
and cheese on top, and bake a further 10 minutes.
• Omit chilli and add one small red pepper, chopped finely.