HEARTY CABBAGE SOUP
This is a Cabbage Soup recipe that is full of flavour – definitely a go-to if you are looking for a hearty meal that is nutritious and filling too.
· 1 small Yellow Onion, diced
· 2 ribs of Celery, chopped
· 4 Carrots, peeled and chopped
· 3 cloves Garlic
· 2 cups Gold Potatoes, diced – 500ml
· 1 small head Green Cabbage, roughly chopped
· 1 can of Crushed Tomatoes
· 8 cups Vegetable Broth* - 2 litres
· ½ tsp Black Pepper, plus more to taste – 2.5ml
· ½ tsp Fresh Thyme, finely chopped – 2.5ml
1. Add Onion, Celery, Carrot, and splash of water or oil. Cook over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes
2. Add the Garlic, Thyme, and Black Pepper to the pot and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the Garlic is fragrant.
3.. Raise the heat to high, then add the Gold Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Vegetable Broth to the pot, then stir well. Finally, add the chopped Cabbage to the pot and use your spoon to “press” everything down – the soup will be very thick at first, but the Cabbage will cook down and release more liquid.
4. Once everything comes to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
5. This recipe can also be done in an instant pot. Saute the onion, celery, carrot , garlic and thyme. Add the potatoes, tomatoes and vegetable broth and then the cabbage. Set the instant pot to pressure cook and cook on high for 25minutes. Allow the pressure to release and serve.