VEGAN SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST BURRITOS
These breakfast burritos are filled with goodness and you can pack the left overs for lunch too!
For the Roasted Sweet Potato
· 1 medium to large sweet potato, or more
· salt and pepper
· minimal drizzle of olive oil, I usually use about 1/2 tsp per potato
For the Tofu Scramble
· 1 package organic firm or extra-firm tofu
· 1 tsp turmeric – 5ml
· 1 tsp garlic powder – 5ml
· 1 tbsp soy sauce – 15ml
· 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional) – 15ml
· 1/4 cup water, plus more if it starts to dry out – 60ml
For the Sautéed Kale
· 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
· either water or a bit of oil to sauté
For the Burritos
· tortillas, gluten-free if needed
To Make the Roasted Sweet Potato. Pre-heat the oven to 220’C degrees. Dice the sweet potato and place it on a parchment paper or silicone mat-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast until tender, approximately 30-40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and any other desired spices.
To Make the Tofu Scramble crumble the tofu into a pan then add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the water is gone.
To Make the Kale tear or chop the kale leaves away from the stems, finely chop then add to a pan and either saute in some water or olive oil until softened. Don’t overcook. You just want it slightly softened and a nice, dark green colour. To Assemble the Burritos add some roasted sweet potato, tofu scramble, kale, avocado and 1/2 a sliced vegan sausage to a tortilla and if desired salsa and/or vegan sour cream. Fold in two sides then roll it up to create a burrito. Either server immediately or wrap in foil and store in the fridge to be reheated later.